Jesse Stinebower


Persoonlijke informatie    |    Bronnen    |    Alles    |    PDF

  • Naam Jesse Stinebower  [1
    Geslacht Vrouwelijk 
    Persoon-ID I2413  VanderHeide
    Laatst gewijzigd op 26 jul 2017 

    Gezin Kiger 
    +1. Jaimi Kiger
    Laatst gewijzigd op 26 jul 2017 
    Gezins-ID F791  Gezinsblad  |  Familiekaart

  • Bronnen 
    1. [S315] Clock Funeral Home obituaries, (, (Betrouwbaarheid: 2), 26 jul 2017.
      Max Stinebower
      May 30, 1923 - January 8, 2013
      Grand Haven, MI

      Throughout his rich and rewarding life, Max Stinebower put the sparkle into the world around him. He was never concerned about building wealth according to the world?s measure, rather, he made it his life?s mission to deeply love the family and friends he treasured. Max was a devoted family man who was blessed to spend more than 65 years with the love of his life by his side with whom he witnessed his family tree blossom to include the grandchildren and great-grandchildren who put the joy in his heart. Life will never be the same without Max here, but his timeless wisdom, unending compassion, and courageous spirit will live on in the hearts and lives of those who follow him.

      The decade of the 1920s was a time filled with unprecedented advancements fueled by innovation that seemed endless. We welcomed conveniences like the refrigerator and the washing machine while the world of flight soared to new heights due to the adventurous spirits of Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart. Nestled within this vibrant time was the year 1923 that was greeted with great anticipation for one bustling family from Clinton County, Michigan, as they were awaiting the birth of their new baby. Their wait was over on May 30th when the baby they named Max Laverne made his arrival. He was the youngest of three children born to his parents, Jesse and Ella (Hayes) Stinebower, and he was raised on the family farm alongside his older sister, Gaythel, and his older brother, Ford.

      For the most part Max experienced a childhood that was reflective of the times. Living on the farm meant there were plenty of chores to go around, instilling within him a strong work ethic that would be his constant companion. Max was also a student at local schools including Elsie High School. It was in high school that he met the young girl who stole his heart. She was a fellow classmate named Nelle Hartwick, and they met during study hall. Max and Nelle began dating and became high school sweethearts.

      After graduating from high school Max found work at the Marathon Oil Refinery nearby, and he also worked the farm. These were the days of WWII, so it was with a desire to serve his country that he joined the Army. Not to be forgotten during this time was his sweetheart who remained in his heart. With a desire to build a life with Nelle, Max came home on leave and married her on January 23, 1944. The groom soon reported back for duty and was shipped to Europe. Although he was never in battle, Max served as a driver for upper ranking staff officers in England and Germany. He remained in Europe for three years before returning to his bride. Always the jokester, Max used to say that it was this separation that allowed them to remain married for more than 60 years!

      With his military duty fulfilled, Max returned to Elsie where he worked as a lab technician at the refinery and also on the family farm. Nelle helped out on the farm, too, as she often drove the tractor. The couple was soon blessed with the birth of their first daughter, Janie, in 1948. She was followed by their son, Scott, in 1952 and their second daughter, Jesse, in 1952. When the refinery was due to close they offered to transfer Max to Alaska, so he spent three months there checking things out. He traveled all over the state, taking thousands of slides as photography was one of his hobbies. Nelle was not interested in moving that far away from their family so Max took a job at the refinery in Muskegon. After a few years he retired from Marathon Oil, and he moved to Midwest Pipe in Grand Haven where he became the plant manager. Max gave them 20 years of dedicated service until he retired in 1982.

      Work was certainly a necessary part of Max?s life, but he loved spending time with his family most of all. They moved to Grand Haven in 1959, moving around a bit until they eventually settled into a home overlooking Lake Michigan on McCrea Court. Surrounded by such beauty, the Stinebower family regularly had house guests during the summer, especially during the Coast Guard Festival in the beginning of August. Their house was so full during that time that the kids all had to surrender their rooms to the houseguests and sleep elsewhere in their sleeping bags. They were active socially and had a large group of friends including some from back in Elsie.

      Throughout his life Max enriched his journey in so many ways. With a love for photography he had his own darkroom. As a woodworking enthusiast Max also had his own complete workshop where he built pieces of furniture like tables and lamps, too. As one who liked to keep busy, he also invented several gadgets like a heater for the birdbath and a gizmo to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders. Max had a deep appreciation for music, especially dixieland jazz, blue grass, and the blues. He and Nelle commonly traveled all over Michigan to take in live concerts from various performers. They even went as far away as New Orleans to attend jazz festivals. After their children were grown Max and his wife also took trips to Mexico, Aruba, and Hawaii among other memorable destinations.

      Max was a longtime member of Alcoholics Anonymous, and for over 30 years he sponsored and mentored numerous people, coming alongside them as they battled their own addictions. Max was proud to become the sage wise man of the group. Nelle belonged to Al-Anon. Max was also a member of the Grand Haven American Legion and the Grand Haven Elks.

      Later in life Max found new things to keep him busy. In his eighties he dove into the world of computers, and he often called his grandchildren to help him figure something out either on the computer itself or using the internet. During this time he also had trouble with his eyesight, so Max had a 32 inch monitor that allowed him to see everything. He and Nelle eventually moved to assisted living at Liberty Woods while their son, Scott, moved into their home on McCrea Court. Max was deeply saddened with his beloved Nelle?s death in 2010, but he drew strength from his family and later moved into Cimarron Assisted Living.

      Through the life he lived each day, Max Stinebower taught us what it means to live a life of courage, perseverance, and love for others. He will be deeply missed and warmly remembered.

      Max L. Stinebower died on Tuesday, January 8, 2013. Max?s family includes his daughters, Janie (Duane) Smith of Spring Lake, Jesse Kiger of West Olive; son, Scott Stinebower of Grand Haven; grandchildren, Nathan (Erica) Stinebower, Justin Kiger, Jordan (Matt) Neiger, Jaimi Kiger, Amy (Brian) Churchill, Adam (Alina) Warner; 8 great grandchildren; nephew, Kelly (Linda) Stinebower. Max was preceded in death by his wife, Nelle. A memorial gathering will be held on Saturday, January 12, 2013, 2:00-4:00 PM at the Clock Chapel-Grand Haven. Memorials can be made to Michigan Foundation For the Blind. Please visit to leave a memory.